Sunday, August 19, 2018

Lake Ninevah

Lake Ninevah
Inbox
x

Dorothy Weisbord
To all my neighbors at Lake Ninevah, old and new.......  Please forward as you see fit.  

Dear friends - 

My family has had a camp at Lake Ninevah for 53 years.  I have many of the same fond youthful memories as Ida Gage.  Her dad Hy Main stopped to visit us about once a week to exchange lake stories of fish caught and animals sighted.  This summer I was conscious  of the changes as I missed my neighbor George Burgess, a true Vermonter, who sat on his porch loving and admiring Lake Ninevah. My children rode in the wagon behind Vin Blakely's tractor.  It was a wonderful childhood and we often speak of it.  

However change happens and that we can not stop.  Lake Ninevah is as clean as it was in those early days thanks to the cooperation of the State of Vermont with the Ninevah Foundation.  Both these organizations have worked honorably to maintain the beauty, safety and peacefulness of the whole area.  This has benefited the human, animal, aquatic and bird population. The loons have returned. My grandson John, had a wonderful and successful time fishing for bass this summer. One morning at Baba Java in Ludlow I heard a group of men boasting of the size of fish caught at Lake Ninevah.  

Due to the work of the Ninevah Foundation, greeters examining boats at the access, divers examining the bottom of the lake, we have so far escaped Eurasian Milfoil, the fate of Star Lake in Belmont and other Vermont lakes.  

I am truly sorry that Mrs. Gage is bitter about the changes at Lake Ninevah.  I am 82 years old and miss dear friends that I made over the years at the lake, but the lake goes on because of the careful stewardship of many.  

Sincerely, Dorothy Barclay Weisbord

No comments:

Post a Comment