Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My input about Town roads and ATV's

ATVs scare people.  Why?  Because of the media?  Because we are not well informed to know enough about them and their use?
       Many people in this town and all over the state own and use ATVs as work vehicles, some to maintain their maple sugar business, others to us as agricultural vehicles, others to plow their driveway and maybe even several neighbors drives as well. The most common use right now, because of the baby boomers are getting up into their golden years, has been a mode of transportation so that they could still do things that they use to do.  To put it plainly, it is their legs, it is a perfect vehicle to get form here to there - whether it' to the garden, the mail box, the back forty, the barn, shed, your favorite fishing hole or hunting spot - these vehicles are extremely useful. If they weren't so useful, then the Ski Areas, Federal and State Forest Wardens, Rescue Personal-Teams, Beach Patrol Officers, Snowmobile Clubs, Golf Courses and the list just goes on and on, they wouldn't be using these vehicles.  
    These are not the Three Wheel Vehicles of the past; the safety commission had them removed from the market a long time ago. So all the scare that everyone is still living by has been removed. Yet we pass three wheel vehicles on the highway all summer long and know one says a thing.  
    I would like you to know that my family has three ATVs, each for a complete different reason. One is my farm vehicle-  I have 3 attachments for this ATV:  a rough cut mower, a finish mower, and a rotor-tiller that I share with my brother, who has the same identical ATV.  My second one I have, I use to haul a cart to do yard work, garden work, take hunting or fishing, to trail ride with friends or family. The third one, I have a small ATV for my children to enjoy riding.  It also has a tow hitch and this is my way to get them to participate in the chores around the house.  All of their friends enjoy riding this ATV as well.   
    I, being a member of the committee for ATV use on town roads, have agreed to an ordinance which has a set of laws that we are going to propose to the selectmen of the town of Mt. Holly.  Without this ordinance, it is dangerous to operate or know that there is under-aged, non-license, non-insured, not wearing helmets or abiding to any traffic speed or control users out there.  I believe that with our laws set forth, and the participation of neighborhood watch, and reporting of the miss-use of the ATV will better protect our families, friends, and loved ones from the reckless unruly operators that stand out in the minds of us all.  If I get enough response requesting a informational gathering on what an ATV is, I would gladly pull together a bunch of our community members with their ATVs, and a good selection from my business inventory as well so you could see why I would like the ability to drive on town roads to visit or work, hunt or rescue, or to lend a helping hand. 

Sincerely,
Bruce Turco

No comments:

Post a Comment