Thursday, February 5, 2015

Grade 11, Black River High School, Ludlow, VT

Leslie Bixby
Grade 11, Black River High School, Ludlow, VT
NOLA
OPUS Winner
“Composing for brass instruments is not very common for me, neither is composing Jazz music. Wanting to do something different and a little outside my comfort zone, I started to write this piece and it began to come out better than I was expecting. I decided to title this piece, "Nola" to represent the location from which the Jazz genre originated; New Orleans, Louisiana. "Nola" uses two trumpets, a trombone, and a drum set, all of which receive their 'spotlight' moments throughout this piece. It has many dynamics in order to try and shape each phrase, allowing the instruments that are playing the melody to be heard over the accompanying instruments. This piece was also inspired by Charles Mingus's "Nostalgia In Times Square" This piece features typical dynamic accents such as Staccatos, what is known in jazz as 'dit'. Staccatos indicate that the last part of a note should be silenced, creating separation between it and the following note. It also features Marcatos, what is known in jazz as 'dah'. Marcatos indicate that the note has an emphasized beginning, but tapers off quickly.”

2 comments:


  1. Cathy Reed 7:40 AM (13 hours ago)
    Very Nice! What a great way to start my day. Thank You, Cathy

    Albert Labozzo 10:59 AM (10 hours ago)
    Congratulations Leslie, How wonderful and talented you are. I love the piece ...

    Richard Weintraub 2:22 PM (6 hours ago)
    Randy: Assume Leslie is yours. A deep tip of the hat to you both. Super piece...

    Shelley Townsend MH FAC
    7:36 PM (1 hour ago)

    to me
    Great job Leslie! It really made me think of New Orleans as I was listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy Bixby Father -Leslie is my Daughter and my wife and I are really proud of her. Normally the school band would learn the piece and play it at one of our concerts. Unfortunately the piece was to complex for High School students. She is only sixteen and has learned how to play around 15 different instruments. She is already getting invited to go to their college. She's also invited to come play with the school's band now.I've been trying to steer her into writing something a little more commercial with lyrics. She loves a challenge
    I've ordered the video that I will share with everyone when I get it Thank You.

    ReplyDelete